The Government Affairs Committee meets monthly to discuss legislative and public policy issues of importance to Chamber members, and recommend any positions on those issues to be taken by the Board of Directors.
a. The Chamber’s government affairs committee consists of nine Chamber members appointed and empowered by the board of directors to review and analyze all legislation, ordinances, and regulations that may affect our members. Meetings are open to all members to attend and participate, but motions may only be made and voted upon by the nine committee members. Any motions approved by the committee will move to the Chamber’s executive committee and board of directors for final ratification.
2. Elected officials and staff
- Josh Kurpies (Assembly Member Richard Bloom)
- Rad Nowroozi (Senator Ben Allen)
- Aurelia Friedman (Congressman Ted Lieu)
- Zac Gaidzik (Supervisor Sheila Kuehl)
- Stephanie Venegas (City of Santa Monica)
- Christine Frey (Metropolitan Water District)
3. Action item: Support the Santa Monica College bond measure
Requesting member: Santa Monica College
Presentation: Dr. Kathryn Jeffery, Don Girard, Shari Davis
4. Discussion and Action: Candidate endorsement recommendations
The committee is asked to consider all candidates for City Council, Assembly, Senate, County Board of Supervisors, and House of Representatives and make any appropriate recommendations to the Chamber’s executive committee for further consideration.
a. House of Representatives
b. State Senate
c. State Assembly
d. County Board of Supervisors
e. City Council
5. Future agenda items